Today, we learned about the two types of characterization: direct and indirect characterization. We then applied what we learned by analyzing characters from James Baldwin’s “The Rockpile” using the STEAL method: Speech, Thoughts, Effect on Others, Actions, and Looks. Now, apply characterization to yourself. If someone were using the STEAL method to characterize you, how would they describe you? Select all parts of STEAL and explain what they reveal about your personality. Use specific examples. For example, what do your actions reveal about you? What does the way you speak reveal? How do you affect others? What might your thoughts or appearance communicate about who you are? Write one full paragraph.
Response: If someone were using the STEAL method to describe me I think I would be described as reserved but not shy. For speech, I talk a lot when I'm around people that I'm comfortable with, however in other situations I'm usually not very talkative. For Thoughts I am very observant and pick up on other people's feelings quickly. For effect on others I'm not entirely sure, I like to think that I make my friends feel comfortable and have a good time. For Actions I'm typically strong willed and will do anything I set my mind to; however I'm also very stubborn. For looks I usually look the same day to day unless I'm going to an important event.
Summary: Today we learned about the different types of characterization and how we can infer from the text.
Reflection: I thought that this lesson was interesting because it gave me a new perspective on some of the characters.
Comments
Post a Comment